Monday, March 21, 2011

Dealth and the Kings horseman

Dealth and the Kings horseman
                                By: Wole Soyinka

What I understood from the play was that Elesin Oba was destined to die due to traditions and rituals. Elesin was a well known respected man. He had a lot of pride and courage. He said he wasn’t afraid of death “I am master of my fate. When the hours come watch me dance along the narrow path glazed by the soles of my great precursors. My sole is eager I shall not turn aside.” (pg  ) He was also very demanding. He wanted the beautiful women who distracted him. He knew she was getting married but still demanded to have her,He wanted her.

In the other hand Simon Pilkings was a bit different. Although he was a powerful man with high authority he was ignorant. I say he was ignorant because he thought his religion was the only right one the rest didn’t make sense or mattered. He had no respect for other religions. He was going to lock up Elesin Oba just so that him and his wife could attend the ball.   He was very close mined. He thought just because Africans had their traditions and rituals they were “bastards.”  He was very stubborn and hard headed. He wanted everything his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment