Monday, April 11, 2011

The Good Women of Setzuan





The Good Women of Setzuan
                        By: Bertolt Brecht
I think the play is very intense; you have to really dig deep to understand what’s really going on. My emotions towards the play varied. At the beginning of the play I felt sorry for  Shen Te because she was so naïve, sweet and nice. I felt like she had such a pure heart. At a point in time I even admired her for being so good. But as the play went on I started getting annoyed, I felt like she was way too good to everybody and they would take advantage of her. Her cousin Shui Ta was her male cousin and the complete opposite of her. At the beginning I though his behavior was too much, he was too rude and strong. I then realize that he wasn’t, he was just trying to look out for his cousin and survive. When I realize that they were the same person I was confused. I didn’t understand why she couldn’t stand up to everybody and show her both sides. Why she had to hide her strong side.

No comments:

Post a Comment